Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A little bit of Crochet and Larry's Spread

I haven't been feeling too well for the past few days so not much of anything has been getting done. My family and visitors are away at the moment (they'll be coming and going for the next couple of weeks) .. so I've been vegging out a bit. I did however feel the need for a bit of instant gratification so hat number 11 has been added to my pile of charity items.
I love this pattern - requires no concentration, is quick to make and the 'butterfly' makes it look better than a plain old beanie. I used Lion Brand Micro Spun which I found in my stash, and a 4.50mm hook. Not real keen on working with this yarn as its very 'splitty' (is that a word?) although it is very soft.

Many years ago I knew a chef who used to make this wonderful spread. The hand-written recipe on a scrappy piece of paper fell out of a book I was looking at the other day so I thought I'd share it with you, and have it here for my future reference. Its a very quick, easy recipe and ideal for this time of the year when you're after something light to eat (and need to use up some of that ham).

Larry's Savoury Spread

1 tsp chicken stock (or a chicken cube crushed)
250g Philadelphia cream cheese
450g crushed pineapple (drain juice)
1/2 tin corn kernels
200g gherkin, chopped
100g finely chopped ham
1 tbsp chopped parsley

Cream the cheese, add all other ingredients and mix well. Will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Can be made smoother by adding some pineapple juice to be used as a dip, or left firm to be used as a spread on crackers.

Mmmmm .. I'm off to the pantry - hope I can find a tin of crushed pineapple.

2 comments:

  1. The hat is so cute! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well - I had a cold for Christmas and am just recovering now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox